Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Barb's Green House


I had dinner at a client’s house last night. It was my first social visit since we met in 2008 look over her new house plans. Her idea was to contract the work herself, but wisely realized that having an experienced construction manager would be a worthwhile expense. From dealing with the bank, the subs and the inspectors she would have someone on her side who had been there before, who understood the terminology and would advocate on her behalf. We hit it off and I was hired.

Now two years later I’m sitting in a home that I built from the ground up. Not that I did ALL the work mind you, but as things developed I did a lot. From detailing the drawings and hiring the subs, to insulating the slab, framing the interior, installing the windows, building the finished stairs, putting in the recycled cabinets and building a few new ones to match. I’d had a hand in nearly every decision, and every square inch inside and out. The client was the best: steady, rolling with the natural ups and downs of a large custom project and kicking the project in the a$$ when that needed to be done. She moved in before Thanksgiving 2009.

So it was one year ago this month that our project won the 2009 Solar House of the Year by the Minnesota Renewable Energy Society. There are still a few things on our list which we will complete as money allows but for now it’s a spacious, snug and cheep to operate home for Barb & her mom.

I’ll be blogging some details about this project as time allows, and rest assured, they’re details you won’t want to miss…

-Jeffrey

No comments:

Post a Comment